This post is how I choose to respond to what's going on all around us right now. Be there for those who your heart breaks for in any way you possibly can. If the mission of any of the following organizations resonates with you, click on their link, then please consider supporting them with your time or money:
1. The Trevor Project - Crisis intervention and suicide prevention for LGBTQ youth.
2. Lambda Legal - A 501(c)(3) non-profit, is a national organization committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights of lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender people and those with HIV, through impact litigation, education and public policy work.
3. ACLU - American Civil Liberties Union - Longstanding, accredited non-profit that fights for all rights for all people. Incredible informational resource center with proactive ways to get involved in effecting true change.
4. GLAAD - Longstanding advocacy group and information center for the LGBTQ community.
5. It Gets Better Project - Mission: To communicate to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youth around the world that it gets better, and to create and inspire the changes needed to make it better for them.
6. Black Lives Matter - Mission: Idealogical and political intervention in a world where Black lives are systematically and intentionally targeted for demise. It is an affirmation of Black Folks' contributions to this society, our humanity, and our resilience in the face of deadly oppression.
7. Color of Change - Mission: Helps you do something real about injustice. We design campaigns powerful enough to end practices that unfairly hold Black people back, and champion solutions that move us all forward. Until justice is real.
8. CAIR - Council on American-Islamic Relations - CAIR's mission is to enhance understanding of Islam, to encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.
9. LULAC - League of United Latin American Citizens - LULAC's mission is to advance the economic condition, educational attainment, political influence, housing, health and civil rights of the Hispanic population of the United States.
Do some research, take the time to learn about the above and other organizations like them. Angry diatribes on social media or among those you know may seem to make you feel better, but what does it actually accomplish? Nothing. It only exacerbates the situation by creating an atmosphere of more hatred. That's the last thing we, and those around us who we wish to comfort, needs right now. Find a way to strongly voice your opinion through avenues that have the ability to facilitate real change. Use the love that I know all of you have inside. (((hugs)))
Image licensed for use. Copyright cienpies.